Wednesday, May 13, 2009

One Step Closer


I'm excited! 

The doorbell rang this morning, and it was the mailman bringing a package from Amazon.  "Norwegian National Recipes" by Arne Brimi and Ardis Kaspersen.  It's a giant, beautiful book: 352 pages (8 1/2 by 11 1/2) in padded hardcover.  Just holding it is a pleasure.  I've only been able to spend an hour or so with it, but I'm already drooling over the gorgeous pictures of food and magnificent photos of Norway.  

It's subtitle is "an inspiring journey in the culinary history of Norway."  The book is organized by region, and the "inspiring journey" starts with several recipes for reindeer: stuffed reindeer hearts, reindeer fillet on a bed of creamed green onions and mushrooms, reindeer stew, reindeer steak, reindeer patties.  Fingers crossed that Ibsen doesn't mention any Rudolph-based meals in any of his plays.

Since I only had an hour, I started skipping (past the blood pancakes, ugh!), stopping at every tantalizing dessert.  I now have a little list of things to look up.  The two on the top of my list?  Cloudberries and lingonberries.  


No comments:

Post a Comment