Monday, May 25, 2009

Ibsen's Routine

It's almost summer, and I still have a long list of projects I want to finish before school starts back up in August.  I need to work out a good, productive, daily routine so I don't waste the summer.  

It was summertime when Ibsen was making the final version of "The Wild Duck," staying at a resort at Gossensass (in the South Tyrol).  It was 1884, and Ibsen was 56 years old.

He wrote to his wife Suzannah (who was vacationing in Norway with their son Sigurd) that he woke at 6:30 am, had breakfast at 7:00, then left the room while it was cleaned.  He returned and wrote from 9:00 - 1:00, then had a big lunch.  He worked again in the afternoon, had a light evening meal at 7:30, and was in bed by 10:00.  He wrote that he was "not drinking any beer.  But I am drinking milk, and a little -- not much -- white wine, with water."  

I'm not drinking any beer either.  (Yuck.  I just never developed the taste.)  I'm drinking milk -- whole milk these days, after years and years of skim -- and no wine (unless you count my recent itchy disaster with the faux ice-wine).  My summer routine will not be spent in a resort, away from my husband and son, with housekeeping tidying up my room every morning.  

No, my routine will involve gardening, exercising, cooking, folding laundry, drinking caffeine-free diet Pepsi, going to the pool, and writing.  Maybe I'm not as disciplined as Ibsen, and I can just about guarantee I won't be producing anything this summer that scholars will still be discussing 125 years later, but I imagine I'll be having more fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment