Thursday, May 28, 2009

Another Translation Discovery

Back in Act I, in the Fjelde translation, right before Werle notes to Gregers that there were thirteen people at the dinner table, the third gentleman says "I hear we can sample coffee and liqueur in the music room."  In the Meyer version, it's been translated as "I hear the -- er -- mocha and maraschino are to be served in the music room."

Which made me wonder if "mocha and maraschino" is a kind of cocktail, or if it's two separate drinks.  Mocha is another name for a coffee liqueur (like Kahlua), and maraschino is a sour cherry liqueur (like Kirsch).  Evidently, both of them are digestifs.

So, I hopped over to cocktaildb.com (great site!) and used their search feature to find out that there three possible cocktails that combine coffee/mocha and maraschino/Kirsch: 
  • blackjack: coffee, kirsch, and brandy
  • cafe kirsch: coffee, kirsch, eggwhite, sugar
  • parachute cooler: coffee, kirsch, brandy, egg white
I have Kahlua in my "liquor drysink" and am half tempted to run to the state store and pick up some kirsch to try this out for myself.  Too bad they probably don't have those cute little mini-bottles of kirsch like they do for whiskey and vodka.

Now I'm curious to see how some other translators have adapted this.  Hang on....  

The Google books search came up with Harvard's scanned copy of Mrs. Frances Elizabeth Archer's translation (1890, revised 1905) which has it as "the coffee and maraschino."  The Boni and Liveright, Inc. version (available at the U. of Virginia Electronic Text Center) has the same translation.  

So now I'm really wanting to try out this strange combination.  Off to the store?

No comments:

Post a Comment