Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Update on Cognac

I mentioned before how in Act I, Mrs. Sorby tells Pettersen to give Old Ekdal a bottle of "something really fine" and is later disappointed to learn that he was "only" given a bottle of cognac.  

I was confused, because when I posted that, I had researched cognac (since I'm not up on such things) and discovered that while all cognac is brandy, not all brandies are cognac.  It didn't make sense to me that Mrs. Sorby wouldn't think cognac was good enough.  Cognac is the good stuff.

So I was pleased to read a different translation (Michael Meyer; Norton, 1961) that translates the beverage Old Ekdal is given as brandy, not cognac.  Which makes a lot more sense.  Now I'm reading through the Meyer translation to see what else might have new light shed upon it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment